Monday, August 13, 2012

If you haven't noticed...

You might have already noticed in some of our screen shots (at Google Play) that sometimes icons are labelled in some Asian language. Perhaps, thanks to Kpop and K-dramas, most people already know that they are Korean characters? haha

When we first came out and started marketing Rabbit, I don't think many people knew that we were located in Seoul, Korea. The land of kimchi, barbeque, and public WIFI almost anywhere you go.

I personally had lived in Tokyo for 7 years before moving here -- on a personal note, my father is Japanese, my mother is Korean, and I was born in Hawaii. I still have identity crisis, but I have learned to live with it.

Anyway, going back to the subject, Japan is quite high-tech in every sense, but I have to say Korea has the upper-hand when it comes to internet and mobile. I have never been in a country where everyone, EVERYONE has a smartphone. And this includes the grannies and granpas on the subway that don't look like they even know how to use the internet.

Btw, my mom still does not know how to send text messages.

Japan is still a little faster in gadgets and other daily stuff, for example, the card reader that takes your money when you enter the gate for the subway/train. Except for NY, Americans don't really commute by train so I'm not sure you know what I'm talking about, but you have this card that you charge with money and you touch the reader at the gate to magnetically take your fees.

In Japan, the reader takes like 1 quick second. Lightly touch and it goes "beep" to let you in. In Seoul, it takes 1 more extra second, so you are standing there wondering if it'll read your card correctly. This one second may not seem like a big deal, but when I went back to Tokyo for a visit, it was a breath of fresh air. Especially when you have tons of people lined up behind you.

I still get homesick for Tokyo...I miss the shopping, the fashion, the food...

But at least I can get cheap, yummy Korean food and high-speed, easy access internet anywhere I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment